- This event has passed.
Crowders Mountain State Park
December 2, 2017 - 10:00 to 12:00Price: Free
What a turnout for this season’s Orienteering Extravaganza at one of North Carolina’s most idyllic parks – Crowders Mountain! There were 254 runners in 99 starts on four courses. That’s a tremendous impact on the all-volunteer COK and we started out just with two people to handle the throngs (more on that below….).
A tremendous thanks is in order for:
- Bill Ketring, Barbara Scruggs, & Tricia Burd for always lending a hand (they’re actually just trying to get in some last minute positives to remain on Santa’s “nice” list. Ha! Good luck with that!)
- Walter Siegenthaler for finishing & printing maps (permanently on Santa’s “nice” list)
- Andrew Passerrello of Troop 420 for designing & setting out the white course along with time keeping (he earned his Orienteering Merit Badge!)
- BSA Troop 420 for being exceptionally helpful and always volunteering to help the COK (they set the bar for other scout groups…..just sayin’)
- The wonderful staff & rangers of Crowders Mountain State Park for their incredible support and facilities management
The courses were designed to be a little easier this year and given the [relative] low numbers of Did Not Finish (DNF) and Overtime (OT) – many folks did rather well. Remember – courses must be completed in under 180 minutes.
By our calculations – there were about 15-17 people who got start times; but never bothered to check back in with time keepers so that we can keep track of who’s out in the woods. This could be problematic if someone is injured or otherwise not accounted for. The club wants to be 100% sure that everyone is safe and clear before we pack up and leave. It’s only courteous and respectful to go out and come back with an official time.
MEET RESULTS (rank/name/results)
(Please note: if your name is incorrect, there were some legibility issues – so don’t hate on us. Just chock-it-up to the effects of the Super Moon that occurred that weekend. We’re lucky not to have run into werewolves out there.)
BROWN COURSE (5.2 km)
|S. Meck 1||DNF|
|S. Meck 2||DNF|
|Santa Claus||Did Not Participate|
ORANGE COURSE (4.0 km)
|13||S. Meck 3||105:00|
|16||S. Meck 4||115:00|
|19||Troop 180 A||121:00|
YELLOW COURSE (3.2 km)
|15||Buzz & Debbie||119:00|
|22||Troop 448 #2||146:00|
|23||Phyllis & Robbie||153:00|
|24||Troop 749 A||177:00|
|Troop 749 B||OT|
|Troop 448 #1||OT|
|Kris Kringle||Ate too many cookies|
WHITE COURSE (2.0 km)
|Rudolph Reindeer||Stopped to polish nose|