2019 Bubba Goat Orienteering
October 19 - 10:00 to 14:00
The COK will host the southeast region’s Bubba Goat on Saturday, October 19, 2019 at Kings Mountain National Military Park (Blacksburg, SC).
Registration, payment, and other details posted later this summer. Here’s the skinny (at this point in time):
What’s a GOAT event and how is it different than a regular monthly COK meet?
Not for beginners (no white or yellow course levels / no instructions for newbies)
Participants must be advanced orange or higher since all controls are off trail
Participants must pre-register (coming soon). Fees are higher than usual meets;; but you get swag (TBD).
- Everyone starts at the same time (a mass of runners are released into the wild promptly at 10AM)
- Everyone has the same stop time (3.5 hour time limit)
- Everyone uses the same pre-printed map
It’s a longer course (usually 7,000 meters +); so please keep that in mind given your own navigational skills & physical abilities
Results are based on earned “points” (some of which may be “style-points” for wearing bib overalls, running with a pet possum, or in costume similar to the Soggy Bottom Boys). All runners will have three options along the route:
- skip one control without penalty (i.e. nope, not that one today)
- choose between two similar controls to punch (i.e. hmmm….left or right reentrant…?)
- attack several controls out-of-order without penalty (i.e. cluster of designated controls in one area)
A time limit of 3.5 hours is set for runners to collect as many points as possible (BTW – points are deducted for going overtime – DOH!).
“In constant sorrow…. all through my days…..”