2019 Bubba Goat Orienteering
October 19 - 09:00 to 13:00Price: Free
The COK is hosting the southeast region’s Bubba Goat on Saturday, October 19, 2019 at Kings Mountain National Military Park (Blacksburg, SC).
Registration and payment will be at the event.
Please RSVP below by indicating whether you want to go on the short or long course (so we know how many pre-printed maps to have). Map RSVP closes at noon on 10/16.
Fee is $15 payable in cash or check only.
What’s a GOAT event and how is it different than a regular orienteering meet?
Not for beginners (no white or yellow course levels / no instructions for newbies)
Participants must be advanced orange or higher since all controls are off trail
- Everyone starts at the same time (a mass of runners are released into the wild promptly at 10 AM)
- Everyone has the same stop time (3.5 hour time limit)
- Everyone uses the same pre-printed map
It’s a longer course (usually 7,000 meters +); so please keep that in mind given your own navigational skills & physical abilities. There will be a shorter course (@ 5,000 meters) as well.
Results are based on earned “points” (some of which may be “style-points” for wearing bib overalls, running with a pet possum, or in costume similar to the Soggy Bottom Boys). All runners will have options along the route which may be:
- skip one control without penalty (i.e. nope, not that one today)
- choose between two similar controls to punch (i.e. hmmm….left or right reentrant…?)
- attack several controls out-of-order without penalty (i.e. cluster of designated controls in one area)
We’re not going to tell you options now so that you can be surprised when you get the map!
A time limit of 3.5 hours is set for runners to collect as many points as possible (BTW – points are deducted for going overtime – DOH!).
“In constant sorrow…. all through my days…..”